In the early 2000s the benefactors of Big Toe Foundation (BTF) were holidaying on Great Barrier Island with friends. Conversation turned to the problems that retreat centres available to Not For Profit (NFP) organisations had in remaining operationally viable.
Many were sitting on capital assets that were deteriorating with few funds available to adequately maintain, let alone refurbish them. As a consequence, the standard of facilities available were progressively declining and the environment offered to users was suffering. This negatively impacted all involved and in many instances facilities had to close.
This discussion sowed a seed and a dream was born.... To establish a high quality facility that is commercially sustainable and available to Not For Profit organisations to use at a reasonable cost. Introducing Flaxmill...a 4-Star Accommodation and Conference provider located on the east coast of the stunning Coromandel Peninsula.
Flaxmill is owned by Big Toe Foundation and through this relationship it can offer reduced rates to approved organisations that are doing good work; charities, churches, Not for Profit groups, social enterprises and other qualifying groups (and their team members); at certain times of the year.
Basic framework of the NFP programme at Flaxmill…
- Eligible organisations, groups and individuals registered and accepted by BTF have access to reduced rates at Flaxmill for stays 1 April to 20 December each year (excluding Easter and public holiday or popular event weekends).
- Approval for this registration is given at the sole and absolute discretion of the Trustees of BTF.
- The special rates may be used for refreshing getaways for individuals/couples/families, meetings or planning sessions, through to larger retreats and conferences.
- Team members of registered organisations are also able to access these rates for personal stays under the same framework.
- Bookings are made through Flaxmill and must be made (or approved) by the nominated Authorised Contact for the registered organisation.
- All bookings are subject to the full Framework and Special Conditions as set out on Flaxmill's Website.